“The Old Section”

Camp Nelson covered approximately 4,000 acres and consisted of 300 buildings including nine separate forts. As many as 8,000 troops garrisoned the camp at any one time. The most notable building at the national cemetery is the superintendent’s lodge; it was designed by Quartermaster General Montgomery C. Meigs and built in 1875.  The lodge served as the superintendent’s residence until the late 1980’s. Camp Nelson National Cemetery is the final resting place of a recipient of the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military decoration, given for “conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty.” Camp Nelson National Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 3, 1998.